Pizza with BBQ chicken, peppers, onions, cilantro, and a fiery barbecue sauce is topped with cheese and baked till bubbling. This recipe reminds me of one I tasted at a well-known pizza joint in California. My family adore it!
This traditional BBQ chicken pizza recipe includes chicken, red onion, and tangy BBQ sauce. The homemade pizza’s most delectable smoky taste comes from the gouda cheese, and a dash of fresh cilantro completes the dish. You can freeze half of my pizza dough recipe, which creates enough for two 12-inch pizzas. It’s a simple, unbeatable thick-style pizza crust.
What Makes this Barbecue Chicken Pizza so Delicious
- Something unique. We adore a nice conventional tomato sauce pizza just as much as the next person, don’t get me wrong. However, occasionally you need something new to break up the monotony. That is what this pizza with barbecued chicken does!
- It is simple to create. We know that preparing pizza from scratch might be time-consuming, but it is worth it. To make things a little simpler, this recipe includes pre-made pizza dough and store-bought barbecue sauce.
- Utilize any leftovers. No chicken on hand, are you? No issue! Ground turkey or beef could both be used in place. Additionally, this is a fantastic way to use any leftover grilled chicken from dinner the night before.
- It has a lot of flavour. Barbecue sauce, chicken, and smoked gouda go together like peanut butter and jelly. Somewhat sweet pizza, a little smokey, and fantastic is the result.
How to Make a Pizza with BBQ Chicken?
Time to bake after the pizza dough has risen! BBQ sauce, grilled chicken, mozzarella, and red onion are sprinkled on top of the pizza crust.
BBQ Sauce: I enjoy sauce in every bite. However, my husband dislikes it when there is too much of it. The ideal amount of BBQ sauce is about 1/3 cup. If you enjoy more sauce, add more.
Chicken: You’ll need 1 cup of cooked, chopped chicken. Both precooked and rotisserie chickens are available for purchase. Use it as a pizza topper after shredding it. For the BBQ chicken pizza, you could also grill your chicken. You only need one skinless, boneless chicken breast. Whichever method you choose, coat the cooked chicken with some BBQ sauce before placing it on top of the pizza to keep it from drying.
Cheese: Let’s use TWO kinds of cheese for the finest flavour. Smoked gouda for a rich, smokey taste, and shredded mozzarella for that authentic pizza flavour. Fresh cilantro and sweet BBQ sauce taste great, along with smoked gouda. Skip the gouda and use mozzarella instead if you don’t want to make the extra journey to the supermarket.
Red Onion: Each bite is enhanced by the sharp flavour of red onion. Don’t like onions? Please turn it off.
Steps to Follow:
- Spread a thin layer of BBQ sauce over the pizza crust dough. Before adding toppings, I prebake my homemade pizza dough for 6 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine cooked, shredded chicken with barbecue sauce.
- Add 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, red onion slices, and shredded rotisserie chicken on top of the pie.
- Add the final cup of cheese and, to taste, some cilantro.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 450°F or until the toppings are bubbling and the crust is golden brown.
Ideas for Toppings
- Pineapple tidbits
- Blue cheese
- Gouda cheese
- Purchase pizza dough from a pizza shop. Pizza dough balls are frequently sold by the pound at small, independently owned pizzerias, and this dough is typically much superior to what you can find at a grocery store! Pizza crust makes or breaks a pie, so do your best to find the greatest dough you can.
- Pick your preferred BBQ sauce. Please make sure the sauce you chose is one you enjoy the flavour of right out of the bottle because nothing spectacular will happen to it while the pizzas are baking!
- To prevent sticking, add flour to the pan. When the chicken pizza is finished cooking, it will be simple to remove because the flour helps to build a barrier between the dough and the pan.
- For the most consistent cooking, rotate your baking sheets. For the evenest heating of your pizzas, rotate the baking sheets between the top and bottom racks and flip them 180°F after 10 minutes of baking. This is because most ovens don’t heat evenly.
Homemade Pizza Dough
Talking about handmade pizza crust now. I always come back to this pizza dough, which I prepare every single week for a variety of reasons:
- The recipe is ideal for those new to baking bread.
- Just six items are needed.
- The majority of the time is passive
- Interior with fluffy edges
- Very delicious.
The best homemade pizza crust, hands down. I make my pizza dough with Red Star Platinum because it yields the best results. The Platinum line is excellent; its exact formula helps your dough hold its shape and makes using yeast straightforward. If you are new to baking bread, this is fantastic! I only use the necessary amount of yeast to make this pizza dough.
You can use any pizza dough or crust you like for BBQ Chicken Pizza. I used my traditional homemade pizza dough, but your favourite store-bought gluten-free or cauliflower crust, French bread, a baked tortilla, or a thin and crispy pizza crust could be used. There will be enough toppings for a 14- to 16-inch pizza crust.
What can I Use Instead of Chicken?
Sure! If you don’t like chicken, you can use shrimp or canned black beans blended with the sauce and seasonings listed for the chicken.
You can use pre-cooked chicken if you prefer chicken but don’t feel like cooking it from scratch. Simply chop up the rotisserie chicken and mix it with the BBQ sauce if using one. Simply drain the canned chicken breast before gently combining it with the BBQ sauce.
What Else can be Put on a BBQ Chicken Pizza?
This is where the fun begins. I’ve also appreciated the following additional toppings on my BBQ chicken pizzas over the years:
- Pineapple (don’t @ me)
- Feta (surprisingly delicious against that sweet BBQ sauce)
- Green onion
- Cheddar cheese
- Ranch dressing
- Black Beans
What’s on a Domino’s Pizza with BBQ chicken?
We only use premium grilled chicken, crunchy fresh onions, and not one, not two, but three kinds of cheese: mozzarella, provolone, and cheddar on our hand-tossed crust to make our Memphis BBQ Chicken pizza. The result is a superb pizza that embodies a classic summertime treat.
What Ingredients Go on a Texas Barbecue Pizza?
Here’s how it works: first, you start with a base of our mouthwateringly tangy, sticky BBQ sauce. The meat comes next: smokey bacon and tender chicken. You’ve got one helluva great pizza if you throw in a tonne of red onions and green and red peppers. Take a look, please.
Do you Put Pineapple on your BBQ Pizza?
Barbecue sauce, pineapple, ham, bacon, and tonnes of cheese on my favourite pizza crust. Our family loves this distinctive and savoury Hawaiian-style BBQ pizza. With another pizza dish, I’m back! One of my favorites—and certainly one of the simplest to make—is this sweet-and-sour pizza.
Is a Pizza Stone Necessary?
No! A standard pizza pan is all you need to make this BBQ chicken pizza dish. You can use a pizza stone if that’s all you have! For your crust, be sure to sprinkle some cornmeal on the bottom.
How Long does it Take to Cook a Pizza on a BBQ?
Lift the pizzas from the work surface and slide them onto the hot pizza stone or heavy baking tray using a pizza peel or thin, flat baking tray. Depending on how hot your grill is set, heat for 3 to 4 minutes with the lid closed to get a crisp foundation and golden, bubbling cheese.
What Sides Complement Pizza with BBQ Chicken?
The top 5 barbecue sides are:
- Vinegar Coleslaw – I always serve this with my Peruvian Chicken.
- Potato Salad.
- Mac and Cheese.
- Baked Beans.
- Pasta Salad.
How should Leftover Pizza be Kept?
The leftovers from this pizza are delicious. Eat it cold or reheat it. You might want to double the recipe to have leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch.
Pizza leftovers should be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container after it has cooled. It’ll last two to three days.
To Reheat: Use your oven to reheat your pizza and restore its crispiness when ready. Heat it for 10 minutes in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
The recipe for chicken barbecue pizza has always been a crowd favourite for Sunday dinner. The pizza’s thin crust is made of whole wheat flour, topped with mozzarella cheese, flavorful tomato sauce, and barbecued chicken pieces.
These are the ideal party foods that everyone will enjoy. Pizza has long been a staple of fast food, but you can always make it home with a whole wheat crust and your choice of toppings to keep it healthy.
The BEST BBQ Chicken PizzaCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This has become a Friday night tradition in our home! We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
1 (12 inch) pre-baked pizza crust
1 cup spicy barbeque sauce
2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cubed
1 cup sliced pepperoncini peppers
1 cup chopped red onion
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place pizza crust on a baking sheet. Spread barbeque sauce on the crust. Top with chicken, pepperoncini peppers, onion, and cilantro. Cover with Colby-Jack cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- If instant yeast is not used, the rise time could increase by up to 40%.
- Shredded mozzarella can be used in place of smoked gouda if you don’t have any. If you like, you can omit the cilantro and/or onion.
- My favourite BBQ Chicken Pizza from the restaurant California Pizza Kitchen served as the inspiration for this recipe.
- Nutrition Facts
- Calories- 385
- Fat- 16g
- Carbs- 38g
- Protein- 23g