Valentines Day is over for another year and I am sure you have cooked your special one a lovely meal. However, cooking a romantic dinner is not hard and does not just have to be a special occasion for Valentines Day. My easy romantic dinner of griddled steak, potato wedges and peppercorn sauce is perfect for a midweek treat or a special occasion and the best is that it all came from Aldi so it will not break the bank either!
I am a massive fan of Aldi and I shop there as often as I can. I love their fresh vegetables and fruit plus their meat is all British and is excellent quality. For this recipe, I have used their Sirloin steak which costs £4.70 for a 227g steak meaning that for less than £10 you can have high quality steak and feel like you are eating in a top restaurant. If you wanted to push the boat out, Aldi also have fillet and rib eye steaks but sirloin is my favourite as it has the right fat to meat ratio and is really easy to cook. I used a couple of Maris Piper potatoes for the wedges, with a small sprig of rosemary and oil. The peppercorn sauce is mostly made up of store cupboard ingredients except for the cream which means that you have a Valentines feast for two for around £13. A decent bottle of red wine to accompany your meal will probably cost £6-8 but that still means the total cost is under £20 for two people. This is much cheaper than any restaurant meaning you can treat your special one whenever you like all year round.
- 2 x 227g sirloin steaks
- For the wedges
- 2 x large Maris Piper potatos, cut into large wedges
- 1 spig of fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- For the peppercorn sauce
- 250ml beef stock
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 50ml double cream
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Put the potato wedges into a bowl, cover with the oil, rosemary and season. Mix well with your hands then place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and tender. Turn every 10 minutes during cooking time
- Meanwhile, make the peppercorn sauce. In a small saucepan add in all the ingredients for the peppercorn sauce except the double cream, and allow to simmer until reduced and thickened slightly.
- Put a griddle pan on the hob and allow to heat up for a few minutes. Once smoking hot, place the steaks on the griddle and cook for 2½ minutes per side for medium. For more steak cooking times, please see here Once cooked, allow to rest in tin foil until the potato wedges are cooked and the sauce is ready
- Once the potato wedges are cooked, drain on kitchen paper until you are ready to serve
- Once the sauce has thickened and reduced, add in the double cream, stir well and keep warm
- Once everything is cooked and rested, place the steaks on your plates, tipping any resting juices from the steaks into the peppercorn sauce, add the potato wedges to the plate and serve the peppercorn sauce on top of the steak or in a jug next to your plate.
- Open a bottle of red wine, eat and enjoy!
What do you cook when you are feeling romantic?
PS: Serving the peppercorn sauce in a mini bucket is optional, however I will love you forever if you give me a bucket of peppercorn sauce!
This post has been commissioned by Aldi. All opinions are my own.