Its Mothers Day on Sunday in the UK and if like me, you do not have a clue what to get your mum for the big day then I have the answer. My Earl Grey cupcakes with vanilla buttercream are easy to make and delicious to eat. You can make them in advance and rest easy knowing that you will be in their good books!
I made mine in my Kenwood Chef Sense Stand Mixer but any large bowl with an electric hand mixer would work too. I used loose Earl Grey tea for the cupcakes and if it is fine like sand, you can put it straight into the cake batter. My tea leaves were quite large though so I used a pestle and mortar to grind it before adding it to the mix. I cheated and used ready made buttercream but there are instructions as to how to make your own vanilla buttercream here. I did not put any extra decorations on top of the buttercream as I thought it looked like milk in tea but these would look lovely with some edible flowers on top.
Earl Grey Cupcakes With Vanilla Buttercream
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g self-raising flour
- 2 free range eggs
- 4 teaspoons fine Earl Grey loose tea or tea removed from 4 Earl Grey tea bags
- 2 tubs ready made vanilla buttercream
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line a cupcake tray with cases
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, add in all the ingredients except for the vanilla buttercream and mix on low until combined.
- Divide the mixture equally between the 12 cupcake case and then bake in the oven until a knife inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from the tray and allow to cool completely
- Decorate any way you like with the vanilla buttercream and then serve to your mum on Mothers Day!
For more Mothers Day recipes please see:
Lemon Biscuits by myself
Chocolate Chip Marmalade Cakes by Fab Food 4 All
A Selection of Cupcakes for Afternoon Tea by Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
Marmalade Runeberg Cakes by Tin & Thyme
Cardamom Beetroot Chocolate Cupcakes by Recipes From A Pantry
Pin Me For Later!