Despite being a food writer, recipe developer and tester, there are days when being a busy mum with a part time job takes its toll and I really have no desire to spend hours in the kitchen making dinner for my family. However, since making my Easy Peasy Family Fish Pie and the utilising the #PowerOfFrozen with Iceland, I have discovered that you can make meals with hardly any preparation time and little or no chopping!
My Chicken & Chorizo Paella (ish!) is a good example of how a well stocked freezer can really save the day and mean that you can have a filling and tasty meal for all the family within 40 minutes of walking through the door from work. There is only one of bit chopping involved and the rest is done for you. To make this tasty quick family dinner, I used:
The only main ingredient that was not frozen and not ready for use immediately was the Deli Speciale Mild Chorizo Ring. My other ingredients were store cupboard staples and they are chicken stock (a stock cube is fine), olive oil, saffron, paprika and salt/pepper. I have called this recipe a paella (ish!) as the rice used is not paella rice. However, I am hoping that once you make it yourself and taste it, it will take you back to your summer holidays as we all need to relax sometimes especially during the busy working week.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ Deli Speciale mild chorizo ring, cut into 1cm rounds
- 150g Iceland Ready To Cook Diced Onions
- 150g Iceland Ready To Cook Mixed Peppers
- 100g Iceland Ready Cooked Sliced Chicken Breasts
- 3 packets of Iceland Easy Steam White Rice
- 250ml chicken stock
- Small pinch of saffron
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoon Daregal Le+Taste Parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large non stick pan or paella pan, add the olive oil and allow to heat up. Once heated up, add in the chorizo and allow to fry for a couple of minutes until the paprika flavoured oil is released.
- Next, add onions and peppers and fry for a couple of minutes until beginning to soften.
- Next, add in the sliced chicken and rice then give it a good stir so the rice/chicken begin to absorb the chorizo oil.
- Add in the chicken stock, saffron, paprika and salt and pepper, then allow to simmer until the rice is cooked through and the majority of the stock has been absorbed.
- Finish the dish by stirring through the parsley and more salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
For more #PowerOfFrozen recipes, please see:
Lobster Mac And Cheese by Emily’s Recipes and Reviews
Spicy One-Pot Prawn Curry by Supergolden Bakes
Easy Cheesy Cheat’s Cottage Pie by Fab Food 4 All
BBQ Sardines with Wild Garlic Salsa Verde and Couscous Salad by Foodie Quine
15 min Thai Red Prawn Curry by Recipes From A Pantry
This post has been commissioned by Iceland. All opinions are my own.