Mother’s Day will soon be here! (15th March for those of you who need a reminder – UK date.) If you are looking for an easy homemade treat that you can make for your Mum or loved ones at any time of year, then look no further. My lemon scented biscuits fit the bill perfectly. Read on and find the recipe below.
If you are after a present for your mum to go with your amazing homemade biscuits, then how about a Judge Glass Tea Pot that can be heated up on the hob and then taken on a tray to your Mum in bed on Mother’s Day. It has a filter inside so you can use loose leaf tea in it and it is dishwasher safe too (making it is easier for you to tidy up after treating your Mum in bed!) You can also serve your Mum her tea in the red cup and saucer above and serve the milk in the matching milk jug to finish the look.
For ages, I have been trying to find the perfect biscuit recipe that works well with cutters and does not spread during baking. I have finally found it! To make the biscuits taste lighter and more spring like (I have had enough of the cold and want it to be Spring already!), I used some Steenberg’s Organic Lemon Extract which is amazing and means you can add lemon flavour to any baked item without adding extra liquid in the form of lemon juice (changing the consistency of the bake – I sound like I know what I am talking about or something!) or just using a lemon for lemon zest, like I have done in the past. I used the Judge Round Crinkle Edge Cutters for my biscuits as I like the detailing they give on the edge of the biscuit, however you can use any shape you like but obviously the larger the cutter, the less biscuits you will make. I rolled out and baked my biscuits on the Judge Baking & Pastry Mat which meant no sticking and it was very easy to clean up once the biscuits were baked. I will definitely be making these again soon. They were very yummy. Thomas and Daniel loved them too!
Lemon Scented Biscuits For Mother's Day
These are delicious lemon scented biscuits that will give you a taste of spring all year round.
Author: Jo Brigdale
Recipe type: Baking
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 75g caster sugar
- 300g plain white flour
- 2 teaspoons of Steenbergs Organic lemon Extract
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to a 180 degrees C and line two baking sheets with silicone heatproof mats or greaseproof paper
- Cream the butter and sugar together, then add the egg and lemon extract and beat until combined
- Gently fold in the flour until a dough is formed. Put the ball of dough in cling film and leave in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes
- Roll out the dough in between two sheets of cling film or a pastry mat/sheet of cling film until ½ cm thick
- Cut out your shapes as required and re-roll if necessary
- Place on your lined baking trays and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden brown
- Remove from the tray and place on a wire rack to cool once the biscuits come out of the oven.
- Eat with a cup of tea, preferably lying in bed on Mother's Day!
I was sent items from Judge Cookware and Steenbergs for the purpose of the post. All opinions are my own. I was not required to write a positive review.