Its nearly Christmas and I am getting very excited! Christmas to me means lots of house parties and catching up with family and friends. At Christmas we quite often have a cheese and wine evening with friends and a good cheeseboard with lovely accompaniments is a must. My spicy red onion chutney is perfect for this as it gives a great contrast to any cheese but is especially good with creamy and rich cheddar.
Davidstow make their cheddar in Cornwall using a traditional method to ensure an intense but rounded flavour with a crumbly texture. Their 3 year reserve and the 18 month old Extra Mature will make a key part of my cheeseboard this festive season. My spicy red onion chutney is great addition to any cheeseboard but I also love it under the cheese as part of cheese and toast. It also lovely with leftover cold cooked meats too especially my glazed gammon.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 350g red onions, peeled and finely sliced into half moons
- ½-1 teaspoon paprika
- ½- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- ½-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 350g brown sugar
- 350g red wine vinegar
- In large saucepan, place the oil and allow to heat up. Add in the onions and gently fry until the onions are soft and translucent. This takes about 20 minutes.
- Add in the spices and allow to fry gently for a couple more minutes.
- Next add in the brown sugar and the red wine vinegar. Mix well and allow to simmer away, stirring occasionally for 30-40 minutes until the chutney has a jam like consistency.
- Place the hot chutney into sterilised jars and allow to cool before putting on the lid. Keep until Christmas for your cheese and wine parties or give a gift to a loved one.
What goes on your festive cheeseboard?
Pin Me For Later!
This post has been commissioned by Davidstow