When I was a child, I used to go to one of my Nan’s houses after school and they would cook me dinner before my Mom would come and pick me up on her way home from work. One of my absolute favourite things that I used to have for dinner after school was fish fingers, mashed potatoes, peas and parsley sauce. I still enjoy making this today so when I had the house to myself a while ago, I decided to cook this for my dinner and make my own fish fingers for the very first time.
Fish Fingers, Mashed Potatoes, Peas and Parsley Sauce
- A fillet of fish (skinless and boneless of your choice – I used sustainably caught haddock, but you could use salmon (farmed) or any other firm white fish, cut into finger sized pieces)
- Potatoes (peeled, chopped into chunks and bolied until cooked – I used Maris Piper)
- Peas (tinned, frozen, fresh – whatever you like, cooked as per usual instructions)
- Large handful of Parsley, chopped as finely as you can manage
- Half Pint Full Fat Milk
- 2 large knobs of butter (Hairy Bikers Style!)
- Plain flour (enough to coat fish and a couple of tablespoons to go into sauce)
- Sea salt and white pepper
- 2 eggs, in a bowl and beaten lightly
- Breadcrumbs (homemade or not – whatever you like), seasoned with salt and pepper
- Oil for frying fish fingers
- First make the parsley sauce. Melt one of the knobs of butter in a saucepan and then add in the two tablespoons of flour and make a thick paste. Allow it to cook out for a minute, to get rid of the raw flour taste. Pour in all of the milk and whisk without stopping until you get a thick sauce. Take off the heat and add in the parsley. Then add salt and pepper to taste and set aside until later.
- Dip the fish pieces into the flour, egg and then breadcrumbs and fry gently for a couple of minutes until cooked through. Turn them over halfway through cooking. Drain on kitchen towel to remove excess fat.
- Mash the potatoes with the other big knob of butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with the fish fingers and peas. Finish with the parsley sauce. Eat and enjoy!
That’s it for today. I will be back with another post at the weekend. Until next time,
Happy Cooking! 🙂