Last week as a pre event to the BBC Summer Good Food Show, I was invited to take part in the Saturday Kitchen Omelette Challenge in the kitchens of the NIA. I was joined by friend and fellow Midlands foodie James Day of Eat The Midlands to take up the challenge and try and cook a 3 egg omelette as fast as we could. James was against Richard Turner of Turners Restaurant in Harbourne and I was against Simon, Head Chef of the ICC and NIA. Saturday Kitchen regular and Birmingham local Glynn Purnell was in charge of proceedings and judging our creations.
I was up first and it is much harder than it looks on Television. I never had to break eggs so fast in my life. The time went by in a blur. I did my best to make an omelette, not scrambled eggs but it was very hard in the time frame. Simon who I was up against had already done 3 challenges that day and being a professional chef, had it down to tee. I did not get chance to season mine or add any cheese in but Simon’s was perfecting seasoned and I would of been very happy to eat his for breakfast any day of the week. Mine was slightly medium rare in the middle but the outer bits were edible at least. Glynn did the taste test and declared mine to just about be an omelette (he was being generous!) and announced my time. My time was 47.77 seconds which is not bad for a first attempt. I think I could beat it if given the opportunity again.
James was up next and I enjoyed taking a break and watching him have a go. His time was slightly better than mine but he had a practice that morning while I didn’t. It was fun to watch and I now have a greater appreciation for the chef’s who do it every Saturday morning on the show.
You can watch Saturday Kitchen Live at the BBC Summer Good Food Show featuring the Omelette Challenge and Food Heaven and Hell and guest chefs including Glynn Purnell and Tom Kitchin.
Many thanks to Ginny for inviting me to take part in the omelette challenge. I had a fantastic time!
Giveaway: 3 pairs of tickets to the BBC Summer Good Food Show
I have been given 3 pairs of tickets for the BBC Summer Good Food Show at the NEC from 13th- 17th June to giveaway to 3 lucky Jo’s Kitchen readers. These tickets are valid for every day of the show except the Saturday. To be in with a chance of winning, all you need to do is leave a comment on this post before Noon on Sunday 10th June 2012 BST. Good luck everyone and I hope to see you at the show. I will be there on Thursday 14th June.
This competition has now closed. Thank you to everyone who entered. The winners are announced below
Terms and Conditions
- Only 1 entry per household
- The competition is open to those who live in the UK only
- The competition will close at Noon on Sunday 1oth June BST.
- You must be able to get to NEC for the show between 13th – 17th June (excluding Saturday 16th June)
- The 3 winners will be chosen by random.org and will be contacted via email on Sunday afternoon. If you do not reply with your address by Monday morning, another winner will be selected and contacted.
- The tickets will then posted out by first class recorded post on Monday 11th June to ensure you receive the tickets before the show begins.
- No automated entries
- Please see here for the terms and conditions from the BBC for the tickets
- Any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
I am pleased to announce that the winners of the 3 pairs of tickets are: Erin, James and Emily. Please email your address to me as soon as possible and I will get the tickets posted out to you tomorrow. Thank you to everyone for taking part