After a wonderful meal at The Wild Garlic, it was time to retire to fabulous apartment on the second floor above the restaurant. The apartment design was inspired by Angie Lewin and is decorated in 50′s/60′s style to compliment her artwork in the apartment. The apartment is a not an hotel room or holiday cottage, its a retreat. The fantastic staff of The Wild Garlic will leave you alone as much as you like. You have your own key and can come and go as you please. I loved it as you are right in the heart of the village and you get a real idea of what is going on, in the restaurant and the village. One small negative is that it is on the main road so you can get a bit of road noise at night. This did not bother me however, if you are looking for a country hideout away from noise, this may not be the ideal place.
When you arrive you find, bread, milk, butter, apple juice, tea and coffee things and even a bottle of wine in the kitchen. Inspired by the local produce in the apartment and in the local fruit and vegetable shop (see post here for more information) , I made myself mushrooms on toast for breakfast before I left and here is my recipe for it:
Mushrooms on Toast
Ingredients (Serves 1 hungry person!)
- 1 slice of thick local bread, toasted
- 1 field mushroom and 1 chestnut mushroom, peeled and chopped with stalk removed
- 1 banana shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large knob of local butter, for frying
- 1 small bunch or parsley, finely chopped
- Rocket leaves, to serve with it, if desired
- Melt some butter in frying pan, add in the shallots and fry until softened slightly
- Then add in the mushrooms and fry until cooked through. Add in the parsley at the last minute and serve on top of hot toasted bread.
- Put some rocket leaves on the side if you like and enjoy!
I would to thank Mat and all team at The Wild Garlic for a an amazing stay. I will be back again soon.
PS: Midlands Food Bloggers Members and Supporters can now get a Gourmet Life card for three months FREE! If you would like more information, please see the post here
PPS: Sorry for the delay between posts. If you would like to know why there was a delay, please see post on Jo’s Nursery here