Since January, I have been reviewing a Morphy Richard’s Flavour Slavour 4.5L Slow Cooker. I have been using it on a regular basis and have cooked a variety of things in it, including my chicken curry, chilli con carne and a couple of beef stews. (A recipe for one of them is below.)
Overall I have been very impressed with the Flavour Slavour. It is not like a traditional crockpot slow cooker. It is a metal pan that sits on base that works like a hot plate. You can fry meat and vegetables in it before adding any the stock etc meaning that you do need to use another pan. It has a fast stew function that takes 1 hour and a half or an hour and 45 minutes, perfect if you forget to turn the slow cooker on before you go to work in the morning. It has the usual slow cook functions that you can adjust the time on, 4 hours, 6 hours and 8 hours. I usually used the 6 and 8 hours functions depending on when I put the slow cooker on. One small negative with the Flavour Slavour is that stuff sticks to it very easily during the Fast Stew function unless you stir the contents regularly. It can be a bit of pain however, I found the Flavour Slavour to be very easy to clean either by hand washing or in the dishwasher.
As well as sending me the slow cooker to review, Morphy Richards set me a challenge. The challenge is the £4 Slow Cooker Challenge which is to feed a family of 4 for £4. You are allowed some free ingredients that do not come out of the £4 budget such as salt, pepper, stock and herbs however the main components of meal must not cost more than £4. To fulfil this challenge, I present to you my Braising Steak Stew.
Braising Steak Stew
(All ingredients brought from Morrisons)
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 300g Braising Steak (£1.36), chopped into chunks and large pieces of fat removed
- 2 onions (30p), peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 4-5 carrots (30p), peeled and chopped into 1/2 com rounds
- 6 large potatoes, (£1.25), peeled and chopped into large pieces
- 1 pint of beef stock*
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs*
- Salt and Pepper*
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce*
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce*
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Sauce*
* = Store cupboard ingredients
Total cost of ingredients: £3.21
- Put the braising steak, vegetables except the potatoes, stock, dried herbs, Worcestershire sauce, Soy sauce, Tomato sauceand salt and pepper to taste into the slow cooker.
- Stir everything together and then set the timer for 6-8 hours cooking time, depending on how long you have.
- Carry on with your day….
- When there is 1 1/2 -2 hours left of cooking time, add in the potatoes and continue cooking until the time has elapsed.
- Serve in a big bowl with home-made bread and a glass of wine. Enjoy!
If you are interested in purchasing a Flavour Slavour, then you can here.
Many thanks to Chris from Morphy Richards for sending me the slow cooker to review. It is much appreciated