A while ago, I was lucky enough to be sent a sample of Great Glen Game Venison chorizo. I love chorizo in all forms and have already used their venison chorizo in my Chorizo, Red Wine and Pea Risotto. However this time I wanted to do something different with the Venison Chorizo, so I asked the good people of Twitter to help me.
The lovely Carol from Growing Direct (@GrowingDirect) suggested that I make Jamie Oliver’s Best Chorizo and Tomato Salad from his book ‘Jamie Does’ with it. I thought this was an excellent idea and a fantastic way to show off the venison chorizo. I adapted the recipe slightly and my version is below:
Venison Chorizo and Tomato Salad
- Venison Chorizo, cut into 1cm rings
- Vine tomatoes – roughly chopped
- Cherry or other small tomatoes, halved
- 3 or 4 spring onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine Vinegar
- Small bunch of parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fry the venison chorizo rings in the olive oil until crisp and the oil is tainted red from thepaprika in the chorizo.
- Meanwhile, put the tomatoes and spring onions in a bowl, with a tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Add in the parsley and mix everything together.
- Add garlic to the chorizo and fry for a minute until cooked.
- Remove the frying pan from the heat and add in the red wine vinegar to stop the cooking process. Pour into the bowl with the tomatoes and spring onions.
- Stir everything together so everything is covered with the chorizo oil and serve in a large bowl with crusty bread and Jamón ibérico on the side. Enjoy!
I even attempted some Jamie Oliver Style presentation with it, what do you think?
Many thanks to Great Glen Game for sending me a sample of Venison Chorizo and to Carol for suggesting a fantastic idea for what to cook with it