As I am sure I have already told you before, I love cheese in whatever shape and form it comes. Therefore, I was really happy when Lizzie from Kerry Low Low Cheese sent me a Le Creuset baking dish and money off a purchase of Kerry Low Low Cheese to try it out. This was absolutely ages ago and I must apologise to Lizzie for taking ages to get this post up. It took me a while to find the cheese in the supermarket to try it out, as it seems to be very popular in my area and was always sold out.
Kerry Low Low is a low fat cheese made with semi –skimmed milk. I am always sceptical about anything that says ‘low fat’ or ‘reduced’ whatever on it, as I am concerned that they will not have the same amount of flavour that the full fat normal versions do. However, I need not have worried; Kerry Low Low is rich, creamy and full of flavour. I decided the ultimate test for it would be to go into my absolute favourite dish for cheese: Cauliflower Cheese. I have loved cauliflower cheese since I was a child and I can eat it by the bucket load. One of my Nan’s still makes it for me on a regular basis. A few weeks ago, I was home alone one evening as Stuart was working and I decided to make it myself with the Kerry Low Low cheese. I added broccoli to it to give the dish a bit of colour but it’s entirely up to you, if you add it all not. My recipe is below and it worked really well. I really enjoyed it and after a busy day at work, it was the best and simplest comfort food ever!
Cauliflower and Broccoli Cheese
(Serves 1 hungry person on their own or 2 as part of a main meal)
- 1 small head of cauliflower, broken up into florets
- 1 small head of broccoli, broken up into florets
- 160g cheese, grated and extra cheese for sprinkling on top (optional)
- ¼ pint of whole milk
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 50g butter
- Sea salt and white pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of mustard powder
- Boil the cauliflower and broccoli until tender in water with some salt added. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and whisk together. Let the flour and butter cook out together for 30 seconds before adding all the milk in.
- Keep whisking the milk to prevent lump forming and let the sauce thicken up. When thickened up, take off the heat and the cheese. Stir until cheese melts into the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Add the mustard powder and the nutmeg and stir again.
- Put the cauliflower and broccoli into serving bowl or oven proof dish (if you want to sprinkle extra cheese over the top and grill it to melt it) and pour the sauce over it and eat and enjoy! If you want melted cheese on top, sprinkle extra on and then put it under a grill until the cheese is melted and golden. Serve and enjoy!
That’s it for today. Hope you have a lovely weekend